Monday, September 3, 2012

Paint Shmaint

So, things are getting stressful with this renovation thing. Apparently, we/I actually have to make decisions. I know what I like when I see it, however, I do NOT have an eye for design or decor. Now it's crunch time for the exterior selections, and I seem to have no clue what to choose. I drive around looking at houses and thinking, "oh, I like that, but it won't work for our house because...", and I think of some reason it will look terrible on the new house.

The things we have been able to decide on are the exterior features. We're adding a long front porch with a metal roof, shutters, window muntins/grilles, stone accents, a gable over the main roofline, and two dormer windows over the garage. The things that are stressing me out are mostly related to color selections and materials. Our current neighborhood features many homes with shake, siding, stone, and board and batten exteriors. I'd like to find an the right combination of these to make our house look updated and interesting.

I'm also very concerned about the color. We like gray with black trim and a red front door. But, our front door is actually a double. Two red front doors? And, the house is below street level. If we paint the porch's metal roof black, will it look like a huge black stripe across the middle of the house from the street?

Decisions, decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment